13 June 2007

13 June 2007

So, it's Wednesday morning here...

Last night I had dinner with my colleague, N, and his partner and then we went to the home of the department chair. As we approached the little village in which he lives we were on a hill looking out across the valley. It was just beautiful. Then, we found his home on a cul-de-sac, nestled among a lot of greenery. We sat out on a deck, trees all around. We had been told to come for a drink, not dinner. But, his partner brought out a platter of several cheeses, a platter of several meats, a platter of peppers, feta, etc., and a platter of bread. And, the local wine was chilling. We were really full from our dinner, but found a way to eat something! They had been in Paris over the weekend and they had brought the Brie, Camembert, and several of the meats back with them. His partner was born and raised in East Germany. They met in the late 1980s and didn't really think they'd be able to live together. But, a couple of years later the wall came down and Germany was reunified. It was really interesting to chat with them. He, by the way, is the author/editor of this book. Very cool, indeed. We begged off around 22.45 and made our way back "home."

This morning I'm meeting with the person who administers their study abroad programs. Then, N and I have to meet to discuss tomorrow's final class meeting. I think we're also going to try to go downtown for lunch and then I hope to, finally, go to the Karl Marx House. Tomorrow is our last day in Trier. Friday morning my colleague and his partner will drive me to Luxembourg where I'll spend the day/night. My flight Saturday leaves at 06.25 so I thought it would be nice to be right there. This has been the trip of early flights! I'm looking forward to spending the day in Luxembourg City. Lovely is the word that comes to mind when I want to describe it. Other cities, e.g., Amsterdam, are cool, fun, fascinating, but I wouldn't say "lovely." Luxembourg City is lovely. And, I really enjoy being around the French language where I can pick up a lot more of what is being said/written! Anyway, that's the latest. Hope all is well with you wherever you are!

No comments: