09 June 2007

9 June 2007

I forgot to mention this... When I arrived yesterday, there were trucks – picture flatbed trucks with sides about chest high on the beds – filled with teenagers with beer and tree branches driving through the city center, blaring music and, well, looking the most like a Pride float of anything I’ve seen outside of a Pride parade. Turns out that there are huge celebrations for high school graduation! The families come out to stand and cheer, many carrying posters with a photo of their son/daughter as a child. I am not kidding when I say that you could smell the beer in the trucks while standing on the sidewalk.

Other miscellaneous thoughts/observations…

The Tunnelbana/subway has posters for a campaign against Chlamydia in which fingers with condoms on them are pictured. That’s one of those, “Won’t see this in the US moments.” Somewhere else – I don’t recall if it was here or Germany – there was a poster with condoms on fruits and veggies.

One of the guidebooks said that it is very unusual for the Swedish to acknowledge a stranger in public; you know, a smile or some such. I think they’re right.

On the “cool” list – picture, to the side of a wide stairway (e.g., in the T-bana), a section of stairs 8"-10” wide with a flat part on either side. I can’t really describe it; maybe you’ve seen it. It enables someone to walk up the stairs while pushing a stroller or bike at the same time. I’ve seen this once in the US, in a relatively obscure part of a park in Minneapolis. Very cool.

Speaking of strollers – I saw more people with strollers – with children in them – on escalators today than I think I’ve seen in all my years in the US. And the elevators are a lot more accessible here, too. ??

Other things I love – the light flush/heavy flush option on toilets. What I don’t love – paying 5 kroner – about 75 cents – to use the bathroom at the mall. I don’t mind pay toilets at all – they tend to be clean – but 75 cents seems a bit much.

The transit system here is truly exceptional. You hear that, but, my, it is really true. Coming from the Twin Cities where many people can't imagine why anyone would want to spend more on, not improving, but providing mass transit...

Where are the homeless? I did some quick research and Stockholm does have a homeless population. This is the only city of its size I've ever been in where I've not encountered a single person who appeared homeless or was asking for money. Not one single person - not near the T-bana, not in the parks, nothing. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad. The "homeless count" suggests that the percentage is so small its not evident. On the other hand, some cities have such a hostile approach to homelessness that they keep them hidden. I'd like to know more about this.

It reminds me of something I didn't post about - my ride to the airport. I was the only passenger and the driver was a - I'm guessing - thirty-something fellow who had been born in El Paso to a GI father and a German mother. His brother - a Marine - and sister both live in the US. He wants nothing of it. He said, "Life is too hard in the States," and described how poorly he would be paid, etc. I was thinking about that here - the Swedish "safety net" is supposed to be pretty amazing. And, from Wikipedia - though I've seen it elsewhere - "all working parents are entitled to 16 months' paid leave per child, the cost being shared between employer and State. To encourage greater paternal involvement in child-rearing, a minimum of 3 months out of the 18 is required to be used by the "minority" parent, in practice usually the father, and some Swedish political parties on the Left argue for legislation to oblige families to divide the 18 months equally between both parents."

Why is it I keep thinking about how backward the US is on so many issues...?

Okay, today’s report, other than the above –

I got up and made a pilgrimage - by bus, tram, train, and bus – to the Kungens Kurva IKEA. Yes, it's true. L-girl and AAA – I thought of you both! I hadn’t decided whether I was really going to do it or not, but decided to go for it. It was huge, huge, huge and, unlike Amsterdam, actually had stuff that I’ve not seen at home. All I bought was a stuffed animal as a gift for 6YO who has been pestering me for one. I'm traveling with one backpack this weekend so I'm keeping the purchases light!

Then I took a bus and train back to the city center and took the ferry over to the Vasa Museum. This is supposed to be one of the top attractions here. I almost skipped it because I just wasn’t that interested. I am so glad I didn’t. It was just fascinating. In 1628, the ship sank on its first voyage, right in the harbor. In 1961 it was raised and painstakingly restored. It was just incredible to see both the ship and the video about the restoration.

I wandered around for a while, watching some of the Stockholm Marathon. It was way too hot for a marathon, if you ask me. They didn’t.

Later in the afternoon I took the Royal Canal Tour. Tours like these always sound so hokey, but I have found that they are one of the very best ways to get a quick overview of a large city. And it was nice and cool on the boat.

Then, I found – you won’t believe it – a food court, Kungshallen. It had been listed in Lonely Planet as a great place to grab a bite. Since I’m alone it’s hardly worth taking a leisurely meal with wait staff. I had some wonderful chicken tikka masala. This, so I hear, is the #1 dish in London. So, I waited for Stockholm.

That’s about it. Skype has been very unreliable – don’t know if it’s this connection or what – so P and I set up gmail chat which was great. So, that’s my day. Tomorrow, after a leisurely morning, I have to take the bus back to Skavsta airport then take the city bus into Nykoping where I am spending the night because my flight leaves at 07.00 on Monday morning. Once I get back to Frankfurt-Hahn, the bus to Trier doesn’t leave for 2 and a half hours. I should get back to campus around 14.00. I don’t think I’ll have any Internet access for the interim, so, that’s it for now!

Oh, one more thing – last night at 23.00 there was still light in the sky. At 4.00 it was light! I checked and, tonight, sunset is 22.00. Sunrise tomorrow is 03.34.

Updated Sunday morning: I woke up at 04.02. Fortunately, I was able to go back to sleep! :-)

No comments: