13 June 2007

Back in Germany

I wrote this on Monday, 11 June, but haven't had time and Internet access in the same moment. That is, I either had time and no access or access, but no time! It's now Wednesday morning and I've got both!

I’m back in Trier. It’s 21.00 on Monday evening. Last night, still in Sweden, I fell asleep around 19.00. Even though I was exhausted, I had thought about taking a stroll around Nyköping, but it started raining. It seemed a shame to actually stay someplace and see nothing more than the hotel room and bus terminal. But, I went to sleep. Unfortunately, I woke up around 01.00 and really couldn’t get back to sleep. At 02.00 I decided it was futile and did some emailing, got ready, etc. Let me tell you – that was something to negotiate while being quiet, what with sliding the basin and all! At 04.00 I slipped quietly into the breakfast room for a few pieces of Wasa crisp bread and cheese and some hot chocolate. Then, off I went to catch the 04.35 bus. One advantage to the sunrise/sunset times is that I walked out in full daylight. I saw a couple of blocks of what looked like a main shopping area, but that was it. Fifteen minutes later I was at the airport. I have to say, I’ve never arrived at an airport before security was even open!

I checked in and was given a priority boarding pass. Now, I’m not sure whether I paid for it when I bought the ticket – remember, discount airline, you pay for each little amenity – or whether he just gave it to me. I was the first to check in in person. Who knows! I may have said this before, but I couldn’t check in online because I don’t have an EU passport or identity card. I managed to find some snacks that allowed me to spend exactly every piece of change. Unlike some airports there were no charity collection barrels or some such in which to leave your extra change.

And hour and a half later I boarded and was able to get a bulkhead seat. Score! And, a really nice older Swedish guy sat next to me. He has lived in Switzerland for 37 years, but comes “home” two or three times a year. He said that remaining in Switzerland had limited his career opportunities, but he stayed because of the excellent sport (e.g., skiing) community. We had a nice chat about Sweden, family policies, etc.

We arrived back at Frankfurt-Hahn twenty minutes early. While I’m always glad to be back on terra firma, it just meant an extra twenty minutes until the bus, or almost three hours. I changed in my remaining kroner and found out – first time ever – that they would have taken change! Oh, well, the oatmeal cookie I bought with my last few coins was good. I basically killed the time wandering around, sitting in the sun, etc. Finally, the bus to Trier arrived and we departed. We were about 12 km outside Trier when the driver pulled over and the driver from Friday, having parked behind us, came up to the bus. With no comment whatsoever they switched the baggage and we realized that we were to change to the other bus. So, we did. A few minutes later we were deposited at the Trier Hauptbahnhof.

I spent the next several hours shopping in Trier – another useless (to be revealed later) gift for P and, finally, something for myself. I bought a 40 cm x 80 cm (16” x 32”) pillow and pillow case. I love German linens and the lack of adequate pillow in my room was making me miserable. I had a schnitzel for lunch and, for the first time, took the bus back up to the university, or Uni as they call it here. We say “the U,” they say “Uni.”

I dropped my stuff off at my room and went over to, hopefully, check email and do some more prep for tomorrow’s class. Alas, I couldn’t get a connection. Well, it said I was connected, but no applications would open. I went to use the lab and it “recognized” me as my sponsor (a senior administrator) and started installing all kinds of stuff. Yikes! I tried to quit everything and then gave up.

I went to the grocery store, got back to the room, put things away, had curry wurst for a late supper, showered, and here I am. Since I hadn’t been able to email, I also called P from my cell phone – to the tune of about USD$3.62 a minute – to let her know I had returned. Just to top off my day, I just said I was making it quick and that I was back, and the call was one minute and two seconds, or, of course, two minutes. Can you tell I’m a little frustrated?

Well, one more observation about Sweden that some of you will love. Dogs seem to be welcome just about everywhere! I saw them in shops, in cafes, and on the Tunnelbana where there’s a sticker on the doors indicating that dogs are permitted. On the bus this morning there was a sign designating that dogs were welcome behind the middle door, but not in front of it. Cool beans.

Well, I’ve been up 19 hours – even though it’s light out and there are some folks outside chatting I’m hoping I can sleep. Tomorrow I teach from 12.00-16.00 and I have to do some prep in the morning.

By the way, just for the curious – the “kö” in Nyköping is pronounced “sh” so it’s something like Ny-show-ping. And I thought Dutch was difficult!

Cheers!

No comments: