08 June 2007

8 June 2007

Writing at Frankfurt-Hahn Airport: So far, so good. Coming up to stay at the airport the night before was such a great idea. I got up and dressed and literally crossed the street to check in for my flight. I then went back to the hotel and had a delightful breakfast. Afterward, I was able to go back to my room, use the facilities, etc., grab my bag and come over to the airport where security was a breeze – and the agents so pleasant. I am now sitting at the gate waiting to board. Although my German hosts referred to this airport as “in no man’s land,” it’s just great. It’s small, yes, but that makes it easy to get around and it has lots of services.

I have wondered if I’m taking my life in my hands – more so than is usually the case with flying – by taking Ryan Air – a European no frills/discount airline, but all indicators are that it’s just fine. I’ll add a report after I actually fly! For those of you unfamiliar with them, I’m flying from Frankfurt-Hahn, about an hour from Frankfurt I’d guess, to Stockholm, round trip, for 74 euro, or about USD$100. The bus from and to Trier will have been 24 euro, no more than a cab ride in the city. I also have to take a bus from the regional airport near Stockholm to the city proper and it’s a bit more expensive, but, all in all, this is quite nice.

I should put in a plug for the hotel, too. B+B is a French chain that appears to be rapidly expanding into Germany. I checked in last night, stepped out of the elevator where the hallway lights got brighter because someone had entered the area - what a great environmental measure! - and accessed my room by using a code on the door keypad. It was, of course, small, but very nice. One of the things I love about traveling in Europe is the use of duvets. Then there’s the clean simplicity of things. Love it! As it turned out I didn’t sleep “great” as I had hoped – I never seem to do so the first night in a new space. And, being most familiar with hotels in major urban areas of the US, I think it probably bothered me a bit that there are no chains on the doors! But, then, I did once have someone be given the key to my room and walk in only to find me there! Anyway, at 41 euro this was a real find! And, I checked this morning and they have “family rooms” with one double bed and two singles for 59 euro. I’m already planning for when we can make the great European tour! Don’t know what year that might happen with all the other plans, but, we’ll see! I really want P to see Aachen, a small town not far from here and there’s a B+B hotel there, too! ;-)

I guess that’s it for now. We should begin boarding soon. More as it happens!

Friday evening update from my room in Stockholm-Bromma:
The flight was great. As a discount airline it’s one where you don’t get a seat assignment, but I scored an exit row. Very comfy. The flight was a little under 2 hours. We landed at Skavsta Airport, another great little “outside the city” airport. I got some kroner from a cash machine – Sweden declined to adopt the euro – and got a ticket for the bus to Stockholm City. At 199 kroner round trip, that’s USD$28.48 – call it $30 with what the bank will add – that means that my travel to Stockholm, including last night's hotel, ran about USD$215. Not bad. BTW, I'm mentioning all these costs for those who might be curious as to how cheaply you can actually do this.

The ride was about and hour and twenty minutes and I had trouble keeping my eyes open, but I thought I was silly to sleep, even if all I was missing was the countryside. When we arrived I – eventually! – found the tourist office where I was able to buy a transit pass. I had booked a hotel on the outskirts because a) it’s really inexpensive at about USD$61, and b) it’s one way to see more than the tourist center of downtown! I’m really getting my walking in though! I finally made it to the hotel and my great IKEA-like room where I was able to shower and cool off. I then headed back to the city center and wandered around Gamla Stan, or Old Town. I hadn’t had lunch and was starving! I’m not much for traditional Swedish food and I refused to patronize the McDonalds, Burger Kings, or Pizza Huts I had passed but I happened upon an Italian restaurant – always a favorite – and got a table. I was flipping through my Lonely Planet – Stockholm and, what a coincidence, the first thing I had tabbed was this restaurant! I had a great artichoke and mushroom pizza and a Coke Light. Yum. I wandered around a bit more, over some bridges, near Parliament and the Royal Palace, and back to T-Centralen. I took a different train this time so that I could connect to a bus that takes me right to the hotel. I had had enough walking!

So, that’s it for today. I feel like I know how to get around most of the areas I plan to visit. And, because I decided to bring my computer I was able to go to the transit site and get detailed instructions for getting from Point A to Point B. But, I’m exhausted. It’s after 21.00 and still very bright. I didn’t check, but I hear it gets dark around 22.00 or so. More as it happens!

No comments: