19 June 2007

15/16 June 2007

I wrote this first bit on Friday, but, since returning on Saturday evening have been playing catch-up.

Greetings from the Hotel Ibis at the Luxembourg airport! I was up at 06.00 this morning, getting ready. We got on the road by 09.00 and headed to Luxembourg. Unfortunately when we arrived it was drizzling. We parked at the train station – where there’s a tourist info counter – and started walking, but since the rain was picking up N & N decided to drive around and see what they could as they head toward Amsterdam. I do hope they managed to drive over to the old area – about two minutes away – as it is really spectacular. So, we parted ways. I walked up to the center of town and almost immediately found one of the stores I had identified as carrying the brand of bag I was looking to get, Freitag. So, my big souvenir was a messenger bag for more than I should have spent. They are made from recycled truck tarpaulins, etc. Then I found a place to get another "gift for P to be revealed" and then picked up a couple of Diego books in French for 6YO. I really have no more room until I get to Amsterdam and have the other bag out. I then got a takeaway baguette with brie, lettuce, and tomato that was wonderful! The brie is just so much better here. I decided that I would take one of the sightseeing bus tours because I was tired and it’s a good way to get a quick overview. Although I was glad to have seen the International Court of Justice, the rest turned out to be a bit of a waste as we had driven in on almost the exact same route! After that I stopped and got myself an éclair – which I am eating right now. Yum! I think I lost a couple of pounds in Sweden and gained them back this week! I caught the city bus back to the airport and checked in to the hotel. I just discovered that I have a tub – maybe I’ll take my first bath since leaving home!

On Saturday I woke up at 03.30, though I didn't have to get up until 04.00. I was at the airport by 04.30 for my 06.25 flight. I arrived in Amsterdam just before 09.00 and was soon on the train to Centraal Station. I went to two bookstores, Athaeneum and Waterstones, for more "the gift to be revealed" and then to the grocery store, Albert Heijn. As promised, I filled my extra bag with cheese, biscuits, chocolate, etc. to bring home. I returned to the airport around 12.30 and boarded the plane around 14.30. We left around 15.25 and at 17.30, or a few minutes before, arrived in the Twin Cities. I didn't really sleep on the plane; I watched three movies. Wild Hogs was brain candy, but I highly recommend both The Lives of Others and The Namesake.

Tuesday, 19 June: As I said, I've been playing "catch-up," getting organized, etc. BTW, the "gifts to be revealed" were copies of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone (i.e., Volume I) in German, Swedish, French, Dutch, and the Bloomsburg adult jacket edition. That's it for my European jaunt. Stay tuned for 30 June - 12 July when we visit the Maritimes!

No comments: