07 June 2007

7 June 2007

Just thought I'd post a brief, "Hi, I'm fine," note. Here's the general recap - I left the US last Saturday evening, 2 June, and arrived in London on Sunday morning around 9.00. Made my way to Victoria Station and on to the bookstores of Charing Cross Road - via Westminster Abbey, the Horse Guards, Parliament, "Big Ben," Downing Street, and many theatres. I went to several bookstores (but not Borders) and hung out at the cafe of Foyles Bookshop where I was able to use Skype to call home. I love Skype. I then made my way back to Victoria Station - having been unsuccessful in finding an original Bloomsbury hardcover of the first Harry Potter book - and to the airport. Just as I had accidentally passed the morning's tourist spots, I found myself on the mall at Saint James's Park headed toward Buckingham Palace, quite unintentionally. It was weird to see the very spot where I had stood for a photo almost 28 years earlier! A couple of hours later I was on my way to Luxembourg. I arrived around 21.00 and was met by one of my colleagues from MN and my host in Trier. We arrived in Trier just before 22.00. The major accomplishment of the day was that my luggage arrived, too! Yea!

I spent M/T/W of this week getting settled - i.e., getting a user ID and installing the software I needed to use their W-LAN. I've had great German food - I love that nice, fattening, heavy German food. My hips don't, but I do! Monday evening we went out with several members of the department. Tuesday we had our first class and it went really well. We have 14 students. One from France, one from Luxembourg, one from Romania, two from Turkey, one daughter of US military, and 8 German students. I think it's going to be a good group. My colleague teaches tomorrow - Race and Class in the US; I teach Tuesday - Social Class and Patterns of Consumption.

Today I had a great day. I spent the morning prepping for class. At 13.00 a couple of folks from the department picked me up to go for a hike. We walked through the forest, up wooden steps, across swinging bridges, past several waterfalls and ended up at a restaurant beneath Burg Ramstein, an old fortification. You can see pictures here. It was just terrific! Then, we went back to Trier and I caught the bus for the Frankfurt-Hahn airport.

Yes, I thought about going to the G8, but decided to spend the weekend in Stockholm instead. Keep your fingers crossed that Ryan Air gets me there! I won't bore you with the details having to do with bus schedules, etc., but I'm staying at this incredible new (French) hotel across the street from the terminal so that I can catch my morning flight. For 41 euro, about USD$55 I have a fabulous room with free wireless and a flatscreen tv. I think that tonight I might get a really good night's sleep!

If all goes well I'll try to post a note from Stockholm. Meanwhile, four weeks from today we arrive in Fredericton! Hope all is well with you!

No comments: